Caran d'Ache, Maison de Haute Ecriture, once more demonstrates its expertise in color by offering creative professionals the Luminance 6901 color pencil, a combination of the highest lightfastness and the smoothness of a permanent lead. Two years of research went into developing the formulation in the greatest secrecy in the Geneva workshops. The result is the Luminance 6901, a series of extremely lightfast pencils, promising creative professionals and artists that their work will survive.
In addition to the highest lightfastness, the Luminance 6901 leads benefit from a extreme softness which enables to obtain subtle mixings and gradations, as well as blendings. Every shade has been formulated using finely-ground pigments chosen for their purity, intensity and resistance to UV. All creative professionals-- artists, designers, architects, stylists, art directors, interior designers-- will appreciate the technical features, aesthetics and ergonomics of Luminance 6901.
The chromatic range of the 76 pencils of Luminance 6901 is perfectly balanced and are available individually and in sets of 16, 38 or 76 color pencils.
Certified lightfastness and the Use of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Approved Wood
At the request of the Colored Pencil Society of America (CPSA), the American Society for Testing and Material has developed standard ASTM D-6901 to determine the lightfast level of a color pencil. With Luminance 6901, Caran d'Ache is the only brand to offer a set of 76 colors with 61 colors classified in the best category (Lightfastness I) under standard ASTM D-6901.
Cut from California cedar, the Luminance 6901 color pencils carry the FSC label, a guarantee of logging that is environmentally-friendly and socially and economically endurable. Caran d'Ache is a rarity among world pencil manufacturers, for it has obtained this label for both the type of wood used and its conversion in its Geneva workshops.
Techniques Made Possible Using Luminance 6901
- Endless creation and layering of colors because of the rich palette and strong mixing capability
- Shading and burnishing to create volume and 3D effects
- Maximum coverage with a gentle intense and uniform application without blooming
- 'Grisaille' technique by lightly pressing the pencil, e.g. semi-transparent over graphite
- Sgraffito: intense colors are revealed by scraping from very fine to very broad strokes
- Mixed technique with fiber-tipped pens
- Creating on unconventional supports: the smoothness of Luminance enables use on multiple surfaces
Color shown here is for reference only.